Home History Archives Groups & Societies Books About News & Diary Web Links Site Map

 Creative Commons – Attribution - Non Commercial - No Derivatives 4.0 International Public License.


Home Copyright

Here is a passage from ‘ A Short History of Cradley Chapel’ 1993 in which Frank Stevens describes the schools.


The first school was erected in 1789, built near the west end of the Meeting house. This remained until about 1854, when it was taken down and in its place was erected the first portion of the present buildings on the south side of the Church, together with the two cottages nearby. In 1897, to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, the Infants School was added at a cost of £1200, built by Mr J A Meredith, and in 1928 there was a great extension and restoration of the main block, at a cost of £4000. 


Headmasters of Church day schools

Joseph Jaquiss, October 26th 1885-March 31st 1922

G N Raybould April 1st 1922-

Head teachers of Infant School

Miss Lane

Miss Mills

Miss Blakemore

Miss Barford

Miss Croft

Mrs Roper

Miss Buckley


The author of many articles that are now on the Cradley Links site:


Norman Bird, took an active interest in Cradley history, and was a regular contributor to the parish magazine. Deputy Head Master at the Cradley Church Schools for more than 20 years, he died suddenly in the school staff room in the late 1950s.  



Cradley Church of England Primary School

Sketch of the original school next to the church.

Cradley Church of England Primary School 2020.

By Stephen Cox

Sports Team c.1951

School Play c.1951