Home History Archives Groups & Societies Books About News & Diary Web Links Site Map

 Creative Commons – Attribution - Non Commercial - No Derivatives 4.0 International Public License.


Home Copyright

Present day locations of place names given in the 1782 and 1785 Enclosure surveys  


Cradley Links wishes to record our sincere thanks to Margaret Bradley and Barry Blunt for their generous permission to reproduce these excerpts from their book, "The History of Cradley: A Survey of Cradley and the Enclosure Book".



Almshouses Corner of Butcher's Lane and Furlong Lane

Ash Bank On the River Stour behind Huntingdon Gardens. Probably named after ash trees.

Attwood's Forge On the River Stour behind Huntingdon Gardens. Later known as Lodge Forge

Banner's Lane A Banner family of Cradley is mentioned in the Halesowen registers from 1660

Blue Ball Inn Lower end of Blue Ball Lane

Brettell Town Lower Mogul Lane - named after the Brettell family

Cradley Forge Where Maypole Hill crosses the River Stour. It was first mentioned in 1610 when owned by Dud Dudley.

Cradley Well High Town

Cuckold's Corner Long Innage. Definition: Land where illicit love-making took place

Hell Hole Between Maypole Hill and the Rod Mill on the River Stour. Probably takes its name from the fiery furnaces and forges in that area.

Homer Hill Named after the Homer family who possessed the land from medieval times. Earliest reference is 1275 - Johanne de Hanmor. Later became Halmor, Holmer and Homer

Mansion House Adjoining Blue Ball Inn. Erected 1687, demolished 1931

Maypole Inn Junction of Maypole Hill and Maypole Fields

Methodist Meeting Butcher's Lane. Chapel erected in 1768, demolished in 1789

Mitchell Farm Behind the Park Tavern Inn

Netherend Nether - a hamlet farthest away from the village. First mentioned in 1275

Oldnall First mentioned in 1275 as Holdenhale

Rod Mill On River Stour adjacent to the Dewfall Inn. Where iron was slit into rods for nail-making.  Originally in the hands of the Foley family.

The Stocks Near Blue Ball Lane

Two Lanes End Junction of Netherend Lane and Lyde Green

Upper End The area now known as Overend



© Copyright 2002 Margaret Bradley and Barry Blunt.

Reproduced with permission.


Place names