Home History Archives Groups & Societies Books About News & Diary Web Links Site Map

 Creative Commons – Attribution - Non Commercial - No Derivatives 4.0 International Public License.


Home Copyright

"Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of the County of Worcestershire", 1873, lists 186 entries for Cradley.





Cradley Links wishes to record our sincere thanks to Mr Rod Neep of The Archive CD Books Project for his generous permission to reproduce this directory excerpt and the associated scans.


The Archive CD Books Project exists to make reproductions of old books, documents and maps available on CD to genealogists and historians, and to co-operate with libraries, museums and record offices in providing money to renovate old books in their collection.


We can highly recommend the products of The Archive CD Books Project for anyone interested in historical documents which are in many cases unavailable from any other source.




CRADLEY, WITH NETHEREND, COLLEY GATE, &c.


  CRADLEY is a township and extensive district of the parish of Halesowen, 2 1/2 miles E. of Stourbridge, 3 S. of Dudley, 2 N.E. of Halesowen, and 9 1/2 W. of Birmingham ; is in the eastern division of the county, and hundred of Lower Halfshire ; petty sessional division, union, and county court district of Stourbridge ; polling district of the Hayes ; diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Kiddderminster. Population in 1861, 4,075 ; in 1871, 4,695, with 887 inhabited and 43 uninhabited houses. The annual rateable value is £10,027. The Right Hon. Lord Lyttelton is lord of the manor, and the principal landowners are the New British Iron Company, Jeston Homfray, Esq., and the trustees of the Oldswinford Hospital. The area of the township is 732 acres; coal and ironstone are found in great quantities and of good quality on the N. and W. of Netherend, whilst on the opposite side the soil is a rich clay, and affords excellent pasturage. The town forms part of a populous mercantile and manufacturing neighbourhood, in which the iron trade is carried on in all its branches. The chief manufactures are chains, cables, anchors, nails, hammers, vices, anvils, fire-bricks, &c. The Cradley iron works, the property of Messrs. S. Evers and Sons, and the Congreaves works, belonging to the New British Iron Company, are very extensive and manufacture superior qualities of iron by the charcoal or wood-coal process. The fire-brick works in the immediate neighbourhood are also on a large scale. Cradley has a station on the Great Western Railway (Stourbridge Extension line) and is bounded on the N.W. by the river Stour, which here divides the counties of Worcester and Stafford. A court baron and a court leet are held here on the last Tuesday in October, at which the steward presides as judge, assisted by a jury. The church is a plain brick building, with cupola, having a chancel, nave, and aisles. It was originally intended for a Lady Huntingdon chapel. The living is a vicarage, annual value £300, in the patronage of the rector of Halesowen, and held by the Rev. Joseph Hesselgrave Thompson, B.A., of Magdalen Hall, Oxford. The Rev John Buncher is the curate. In 1852 a grant of land was made by the sons of the Rev. George Biggs (a former rector of Halesowen) for the enlargement of the burial ground of this parish. Attached to the church is a National school, under Government inspection. The Baptist Chapel is a small brick building, situate at the top of the town ; a new British school has recently been erected in connexion with it. The Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1806; and the schools in 1860. A new chapel to accommodate about seven-hundred persons is about to be erected. Providence Methodist New Connexion chapel at Windmill Hill was built in 1856 ; the Primitive Methodist chapel, New-street, in 1853. The Unitarian chapel at Netherend was erected by subscription in 1796 ; the school belonging to this denomination is supported by an endowment and annual subscriptions. It is free for 30 boys and 20 girls. The ragged school at Colley lane was erected by subscription. It is used as a place of worship on Sundays by various denominations. The ragged school at Two Gates was built by Noah Hingley, Esq., and J. Homfray, Esq., in 1867. It is used as a day school for boys and girls ; average attendance, 50 ; as a night school on Tuesdays and Thursdays ; average attendance, 35. A Sunday evening service is conducted by Jeston Homfray, Esq.


  NETHEREND, COLLEY GATE, OVEREND, TWO GATES, and COLMAN HILL are near the town. About one mile from the northern extremity of Cradley, in a romantic vale, diversified with plantations of firs, is a spring of salt water, highly esteemed on account of its medicinal qualities.


  POSTAL REGULATIONS. - Mrs. Elizabeth Christopher, Sub-Postmistress. Letters arrive by messenger from Brierley Hill at 7.30 a.m. and 2.45 pm, ; dispatched thereto at 8.45. a.m. and 6.45 p.m.; on Sundays at 8.45 a.m. only. Cradley Heath is the nearest money order office. Post town, Brierley Hill. The wall letter boxes at Netherend and Windmill Hill are cleared at 8.30 a.m., and 6.30 p.m. on week days, and at 8.30 a.m. only on Sundays.


  PLACES OF WORSHIP :- District Church. - Rev. Joseph H. Thompson, B. A., Vicar; Rev. John Buncher, Curate; Isaac P. Bloomer, Parish Clerk.


Baptist Chapel. - Rev. Maurice Morgan, Minister.


Primitive Methodist Chapel. - New Street, Ministers various.


Providence Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Windmill Hill.- Ministers various.


Unitarian Chapel, Netherend. - Rev. William Cochrane, Minister.


Wesleyan Chapel, Rev. Andrew Palmer, Minister.


SCHOOLS : - National Schools, Mr. Thomas D. Davies, Master; Miss Mary Ann Wooldridge, Mistress.


Unitarian School, Netherend ; Mr. Thomas Henry Billingham, Master; Miss Sarah Roberts, Mistress ; Miss Fanny Williams, Assistant Mistress.


Ragged School (mixed), Two Gates ; Mrs. W. Bennett, Mistress. Ragged School (girls), Colley Lane; Mrs. Field, Mistress. Wesleyan schools, Mr. Nicholas Yeaman, Master ; Mrs. Mary Yeaman, Mistress.


Carrier to Birmingham :- Alfred Wooldridge, Netherend, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, to Phoenix Inn, Park street, returning the same days at 4.30 p.m.


Railway Station (G.W.R.) Richard Roach, Station Master.

CRADLEY ALPHABETICAL DIRECTORY

"*" THE TRADES DIRECTORY (CLASSIFIED) WILL BE FOUND WITH HALESOWEN


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Aston Jas. Wood, Esq., The Elms house Colley lane

Attwood Mr. Thomas, Colley gate

Baker Mr. George Henry, Colley gate

Barnett Miss E. S., Fairview lodge

Buncher Rev. Jn., (curate),Colley orchard

Camm Mr. Thomas, New road

Cochrane Rev. Wm., (Unitarian),Netherend

Creagh Mr. Thos. Alfred, Colley gate

Gordon Rev. Michael, Highfield villas

Hawkeswood Mr. Rd. Burley,Windmill hl

Hingley Benjamin, Esq., Hatherton lodge

Hingley Joseph, Esq., Windmill hill

Hingley Noah, Esq., J.P., (late mayor of Dudley), Hatherton lodge

Hingley Samuel, Esq., Fairview

Homer Joseph Benj., Esq., Chapel house

Homer Mrs. Joseph, Colley gate

Homer Thomas, Esq., Colley gate

Homfray Jeston, Esq., Colman hill

Hunt James Peart, Esq., Colman hill

Kedwards Rev. Jas., (minister of Unitarian chapel at Lye waste), Park row

Kendrick Mr. William, Tree garron

Morgan Rev. Maurice, (Baptist), Colley orchard

Mountford Jn., Poplar cot., Windmill hill

Mountford Richard, Esq., Highfield house

Palmer Rev. Andrew (Wesleyan)

Perrins Saml., Esq., Congreaves, nr. Birmingham

Smith Wm. Robinson, Esq., Clyde house

Thompson Rev. Jsph. Hesselgrave, B.A. (vicar)

Thompson Wesley Hayes, Esq., L.R.C.P., L.M., L.R.C.S. (Edin.), Glyndon ho.

Tibbetts Mr. Joseph, Colley gate

Wood Mrs., Colley Gate house

COMMERCIAL.



ASTON J. WOOD and CO., manuftrs. of spades, shovels, anvils, vices, hammers, picks, use iron, anchors, chains, cables, &c., works and offices, adjoining Cradley railway station

Adams Jabez, Bull's Head Inn, Overend

Adams William, Blue Ball Inn, Overend

Allport Henry, shoemaker, Windmill hill

Andrews Wm., manager of felt works for Mr. Charles B. Hodgetts, Park row

Arnett Mrs. Eliza, beer retailer, Overend

ATTWOOD BENJAMIN, hame, chain and trace manufacturer

Attwood James, Fish Inn

Attwood William, butcher

Attwood Wm., butcher, Two Lanes end

Beasley Allen, beer retailer, Furlong lane

Beasley John, farmer, Two gates

Bennett Sml.,beer rtlr. & farmer,Two gates

Bennett Wm., greengrocer and beer rtlr

BILLINGHAM GEORGE, charcoal dlr., beer retlr., & shopkpr., Two gates

Billingham Thomas Henry, schoolmastar

Bissell Joseph, shopkeeper and chain mkr.

Bloomer Benj., comm. trvlr., Highfield vil

Bloomer G . A., draper, &c., Colley gate

BLOOMER ISAAC P., builder, &c., Colley gate

BLOOMER JOHN, builder, &c., Windmill hill

Bloomer Josiah, shopkeeper

Bloomer Mrs. Mary, pawnbroker

Bloomer Brothers, manufacturers of nails, rivets, chains, &c., Colley orchard, and at Halesowen

Blunt Felix, shopkeeper, Bridge street

BOWKLEY EDWARD, wheelwright, Cradley forge

Brettell Edwd., grocer and provision dlr

Bridgewater John, grocer & provision dlr

Brown Mrs Eliza,lodgings, 1 Victoria ter.

Bunn William, beer retlr. and shop-keeper

Charlton William Hy., tailor, Bank clay

Christopher Mrs. Elzbth., sub-postmistress

Christopher Joseph, shopkeeper

CLEWS T. M. and SON, wooldealers and mop manufacturers, Park row

CLIFT HENRY, shoe warehouse

Coley Christopher, earthenware dealer

Cooke Mrs., Crown. Inn, Lyde green

Cox Thos., Round of Beef, Windmill hill

CRADLEY COLLIERY COMPANY, coal masters, Mr. Edward Jewkes, Manager

Crundall William, shoemaker

Darby Mrs. Christopher, haberdasher

Davies Thomas D., schoolmaster

Darby Joseph, tailor, Windmill hill

Deeley William, Rose and Crown Inn

DOWNING WILLIAM, shoe warehouse, Windmill hill

Evers Saml. & sons,iron and coal masters; manufctrs. of horse nail rods, wire rods for fencing. &c., Cradley iron Works and Homer Hill colliery

Fellows Mrs. Susannah, miller, Cradley mill

Fellows Thos., Old Mogul Inn, Netherend

Foley Edwd, mining engineer, Homer hill house

Folkes William, beer retlr, Windmill hill

FORREST, BROTHERS & CO., manufctrs. of wrought nails, b.b. charcoal horse-nails, rivets, chains, &c., &c., Windmill hill

Forrest Edwd., grocer, &c., Windmill hill

Fox Thomas, maltster, Overend

Gadd Joseph, greengrocer and cider retlr.

Gilbert Miss S., ladies' school, Colley gate

Gill Daniel, butcher and greengrocer

GRIFFIN WM., anchor manufacturer

Grove John Haden, grocer, &c., Colley gt

Harbach John, small anchor maker

Harper. Mrs, C., haulier, Inhedge

Harper Joseph, farmer

Harper & Moores,coal masters and proprs. of best glass-house pot & crucible clay , manufctrs. of fire bricks, clay retorts, &c. &c., Lower Delph fire clay works

Harper Reuben, White Lion, Windmill hl

Hawkeswood Benjn., Sun Inn, and grocer

Hawkeswood Wm. Herbert, farmer

Hayes James, butcher, Windmill hill

Hemming Mrs. Nancy, shopkpr., New st

Hill John, shoemaker, Bridge street

HILL THOMAS., maltster & beer retailer, Park lane

Hingley James, butcher and beer retailer

Hingley James, farmer, Netherend

HINGLEY EBENEZER JAS., mnftr. of wrgt. nails, rivets, chains, &c.

Hingley Joseph, farmer, Park farm

Hipkiss Hy., manufctr. of all kinds of use iron and beer retailer, Lodge forge

Hodgetts Charles B., polishing felt manufacturer, Park row

Homer Henry, greengrocer, Cradley forge

HOMER PAUL, lamp and oil warehouse and general dealer, High street

Huband T., greengrcr. and cider rtlr., Two gates

Hughes Isaiah, Holly Bush Inn and maltster

Hughes Harry, grocer & provision dlr.

Jackson James, shoemaker, Bridge street

Jewkes Edwd., manager of Cradley colliery company; P.R. Red Hill villas, Stourbridge

Jones Isaac, plmbr., glazier,&c., Colley gt.

JONES & LLOYD, (late Wm. Rock and Co.) manufctrs. of chain cables, anchors, ship and crane chains, wrought nails, spikes, bolts, anvils, vices, &c., works, Cradley ; and hardware mrchnts., 49 Bread street, Birmingham

Jones Samuel, Black Swan Inn

Jones Mrs. Susannah, maltster, Netherend

Jones William, market gardener, Overend

King Brothers, proprs. of Stourbridge clay and manufctrs. of fire bricks, &c., and at Lichfield street, Birmingham

King Joseph and Co., colliery proprs. And manufctrs. of blue bricks, tiles, quarries, &c., Netherend works

Laister Thomas, maltster, Colley gate

Leonard Samuel, May Pole, Cradley forge

Leonard Saml., farmer, Beech Tree farm

Lewis John, comrcl. clerk, Lyde green

Markham Fredk. J., grcr. and provsn. dlr.

Mason Charles. farmer, Overend : P.R. Cradley heath

Mills Edward. wheelwright and coach builder, Colley gate

MEREDITH SAMUEL, shoe ware-house

Mobberley and Bayley, coal masters and clay proprietors, Netherend

Mole Brothers, Colley Gate and blksmiths.

Moore John, greengrocer

MOUNTFORD, HOMER AND MOUNTFORD, iron founders and merchants; manufctrs. of chain cables, anchors, rigging and crane chains, ships' knee moulds and every description of forgings, nails, spikes, bolts, rivets, spades, shovels, anvils, &c., Cradley works and at Fore street, Limehouse, London, E.

NEW BRITISH IRON COMPANY, manufctrs. of rods, hoops, plate, sheet, &c. &c.; Congreaves iron works, (near Birmingham); and at Brierley Hill iron works, James P. Hunt, Esq., Manager

Oliver Edwin, farmer and road contractor

Oliver Joseph, beer retailer, Park row

Oliver Osborne, inland revenue officer

Oliver Wm., beer rtlr. and maltster, Park row

Paddock Mrs. Hannah, shopkeeper

PARKES WILLIAM, furniture broker, ironmonger, and dealer in fancy baskets, &c., Colley lane

PARROCK MRS. HENRIETTA, draper, milliner and dress maker, Cradley forge

Parrock Joseph., pattern mkr., Cradley forge

PARTRIDGE GEORGE, hame, trace and chain manufctr. and beer rtlr., (Why not call and see), Two gates

Pateshall John, tanner and horse slaughterer, Park side

Payton Thomas, hardware dealer

Pearson Amos, draper, hosier, &c.

Pearson J., charter master, Windmill hill

Perry James, shopkeeper, Two gates

Roper Emanl., shopkeeper, Windmill hill

Roach Richard, station master, Railway station

Sidaway Wm., shopkeeper, High street

Stevens John, shopkeeper, Netherend

Stevens Richard, Windmill Inn

Stevens Wm., Horse and Jockey, Netherend

Stiff John, haulier and grngrcr., Netherend

Tandy David, butcher, Colley gate

Tate Saml., British Arms Inn, Overend

Tate Wm., Bridge Inn and beer retlr., (Crown), High town

Taylor Geo., shoe warehouse, Colley lane

Thompson Wesley Hayes, L.R.C.P. and L.M., (Edin.) L.R.C.S., physician and surgeon , public vcintor. ; Glyndon ho

Tibbetts Mrs. Elizabeth, Malt Shovel and shopkeeper, Park row

Warr Saml, blue and red brick manufctr

WATTS NERI, chain manufacturer

Wilkinson L., goods agent, G. W. Rlway.

WILLIAMS MRS. M. A., dressmkr., milliner, haberdasher and tobacconist, Windmill hill

Wooldridge Alfred, carrier, Netherend

Wooldridge Bros., farmers, Oldnal farm

Wooldridge Simeon, furniture van propr. and haulier, Netherend

Yates Mrs. Ann, beer retlr., New street

Yeomans Wm., tailor and drpr., Colley ln



Littlebury’s 1873 directory

Littlebury's 1873 directory of Worcestershire, p. 156



Littlebury's 1873 directory of Worcestershire, p. 157



Littlebury's 1873 directory of Worcestershire, p. 158



Littlebury's 1873 directory of Worcestershire, p. 159



Littlebury's 1873 directory of Worcestershire, p. 160