Home History Archives Groups & Societies Books About News & Diary Web Links Site Map

 Creative Commons – Attribution - Non Commercial - No Derivatives 4.0 International Public License.


Home Copyright

Preston's 1860 directory contained the names of forty local Cradley residents.



CRADLEY.



CRADLEY, a populous parish, formerly belonging to the borough of Halesowen, is situate 2½ miles east of Stourbridge, 3 south from Dudley, and 9½ from Birmingham. The village lies a little off the main road; it is in the diocese of Worcester, and in the Hundred of Halfshire, with a population, in 1851, of 3,383. It forms part of a manufacturing neighbourhood, in which the iron trade is carried on in several branches. The soil in general is a rich clay. The land on the north and west of NETHEREND (a part of the township of Cradley parish), abound with coal and ironstone.


A court baron and court leet are held at Cradley, on the last Tuesday in October, at which the steward presides as judge, assisted by a jury. Within the township are five places of worship, belonging respectively to the Church of England, benefice valued at £151 per annum, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Halesowen; the Unitarians, the Baptists, the Wesleyans, and New Connexion Methodists; attached to the first is a National school, under government inspection. That belonging to the Unitarians is supported partly by endowment and partly by an annual collection. The number of free boys is 30, of girls 12.


Here are manufacturers of iron, chains, sword blades, files, rasps, vices, anvils, hammers, nails, bayonets, anchors, chain cables, bellows, felt hats, fire bricks, hats, and woollen yarn.


One mile from the northern extremity of Cradley, in a romantic vale, agreeably diversified with plantations of firs, is a spring of salt water, called the Lady Well, highly esteemed on account of its medicinal qualities, and in summer it is very much frequented. Lord Lyttelton is lord of the manor. In 1852, a grant of land was made by the sons of the late Rev. George Biggs (a former vicar of the parish of Halesowen), for the enlargement of the burial ground of this parish.


LETTERS arrive from Stourbridge at 9 a.m., and are dispatched at 5 p.m.


Cochrane Rev. William, Unitarian minister, Netherend

Adams Jabez, publican, Overend

Attwood, James, butcher

Attwood, William, shopkeeper

Bate Henry, foreman brickmaker, Lower Delph Works

Beasley John, Blue Ball inn

Bishop and Patshall

Bloomer Josiah, Robin Hood

Clemm Thomas, Bridge inn

Clewes Thomas, shopkeeper, and mop maker, Park side

Fellows J., miller

Fellows Thomas, Old Mogul, Netherend

Gill Daniel, shopkeeper

Grove John Haden, grocer, Colly gate

Harper, Joseph, beer retailer, Colly lane

Hawkeswood James, farmer, Overend

Hawkeswood Joseph, beer retailer

Hawkeswood H., Sun inn, Overend

Hingley Noah and Sons, chain manufacturers

Hingley James, butcher

Hodgetts, woollen yarn spinner

Homer Joseph, solicitor, Cradley park house; Office at Brierley hill

Harper and Moore, coal masters, &c.

Hughes, Isaiah, Holly Bush

Humfrey J., solicitor

Jones William, maltster, Netherend

King Brothers, brick makers

Leonard Samuel, May Pole

Lester Thomas, maltster, Colly gate

Mole W., blacksmith

Oliver Edwin, road contractor, Cradley park

Rock Brothers, nail factors

Smith Samuel, grocer

Stephens John, chain manufacturer, Netherend

Thompson Rev. J. H. incumbent

Tate Abel, publican

Tibbetts J., shopkeeper

Williams Eliza, beer retailer, Netherend

Wyer E., painter and glazier

Wythes J., draper and grocer

      



Preston’s 1860 directory

Preston's 1860 directory