Home History Archives Groups & Societies Books About News & Diary Web Links Site Map

 Creative Commons – Attribution - Non Commercial - No Derivatives 4.0 International Public License.


Home Copyright

The entry for Cradley in the 1854 Post Office directory has 70 individuals



 CRADLEY, a very  extensive and populous parish, formerly belonging to the borough of Halesowen, is situated 2½ miles east of Stourbridge, 3 south from Dudley, and 9½ from Birmingham. The town itself lies a little off the main road ; it is in the diocese of Worcester, and in the Hundred of Halfshire, Worcestershire archdeaconry, and deanery of Kidderminster, with a population, in 1851, of 3,383. It forms part of a populous, mercantile and manufacturing neighbourhood, in which the iron trade is carried on in all its branches. From the increasing importance of this town a post-office receiving-house has been very recently established here. The soil in general is a rich clay, fertile in all kinds of grain, and excellent pasturage, and the lands on the north and west of NETHEREND (a part of the township of Cradley parish) abound with coal and ironstone. A court baron and a court-leet are held at Cradley, on the last Tuesday in October, at which the steward presides as judge, assisted by a jury of respectable inhabitants. Within the township are five places of worship, belonging respectively to the Church of England, benefice valued at £116 per annum, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Halesowen, the Unitarians, the Baptists, the Wesleyans, and New Connexion Methodists; attached to the fist is a National school, under the government inspection. That belonging to the Unitarians is supported partly by endowment and partly by an annual collection. The number of free boys is 30, of girls 12. The extensive ironworks of Messrs. Evers and Sons are in this district, and are engaged principally in the manufacture of superior qualities of iron, by the charcoal, or wood coal, process ; and Messrs. Noah Hingley and Sons are extensively engaged in the manufacturing of anchors, anvils, and chain and chain cables. There are likewise manufactures of sword blades, files, rasps, vices, anvils, hammers, nails, bayonets, anchors, chain cables, bellows, felt hats, fire bricks, hats and woollen yarn. Ironstone and cement works are extensively carried on at the Hayes, Messrs. George Atwood and Sons, proprietors. One mile from the northern extremity of Cradley, in a romantic vale, agreeably diversified with plantations of firs, is a spring of salt water, called the Lady Well, highly esteemed on account of its medicinal qualities. In the summer it is very much frequented. Lord Lyttelton is lord of the manor. In 1852, a grant of land was made by the sons of the late Rev. George Biggs (a former vicar of the parish of Halesowen), for the enlargement of the burial ground of this parish.


NETHEREND, COLLEY GATE, OVEREND, and COLMAN HILL, are near the town.



GENTRY.


Bourne Mr. William, Park side

Cochrane Rev. William [Unitarian minister], Netherend

Evers Samuel, esq. Netherend

Grove Mrs

Hingley Mr. Noah, Colly gate

Homer Absalom Cox, esq. Colly gate ho

Horton Mr. William

Hyde Rev. Charles, B.A. [curate]

Simons Rev. C. W. M.A. [incumbent], the Hill

Swindell James Evers, esq. Park side

Wood, Mr. Thomas, Colly gate

TRADERS.


Adams Jabez, 'British Arms', Overend

Attwood George & Sons, fire brick, iron stone & cement works, the Hays

Attwood James, butcher

Attwood William, butcher

Beasley John, 'Blue Ball'

Beasley Stephen, butcher

Bishop John, tanner, Park side

Bishop Thomas, grocer & druggist

Bissell Joseph, file & rasp mfr. Netherend

Bloomer John, carpenter, Park side

Bloomer Josiah, 'Robin Hood'

Bradshaw Ellis, relieving officer, Park si

Buffrey John, file & rasp manufacturer

Cemm Thomas, Bridge inn

Christopher William, shoemaker

Clewes Thos. shopkpr. & mop maker, Park si

Cooper William, beer retailer, Colly gate

Dawe Joseph, shopkeeper, Colly gate

Dayns William, 'Windmill'

Edwards William Evan, anvil, vice, hammer & nail manufacturer

Evers Samuel & Sons, iron manufactrs

Fellows Joseph, maltster & miller

Fellows Thos. 'Old Mogul', Netherend

Forrest Edwd. shopkpr, Windmill hill

Gill Daniel, butcher

Gill Daniel, shopkeeper

Grove David, shopkeeper, Windmill hill

Grove John Haden, grocer, Colly gate

Harper Joseph, beer retlr. Colly lane

Hawkeswood James, farmer, Overend

Hawkesworth Joseph, beer retailer

Hawkesworth William Herbert, 'Sun', & shopkeeper, Overend

Hill Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr Netherend

Hingley Noah & Sons, anvil, chain & anchor manufacturers

Hingley Mary (Mrs.), 'Swan'

Hodgetts Charles Rubey, hat manufacturer & woollen yarn spinnr. Park side

Homer Absalom Cox, agent to the Birmingham district fire office, Colly gate

Hughes Isaiah, 'Holly Bush'

Jackson Henry, bootmkr. Colly orchard

Jones Joseph, 'Fish'

Jones Mary (Mrs.) shopkeeper, Park si

Jones Thomas, butcher, Colly lane

Jones William, maltster, Netherend

King Joseph, fire brick maker

Leonard Samuel, 'May Pole'

Lester Thomas, maltster, Colly gate

Mole Frances (Mrs.), 'Colly Gate,' & blacksmith

Norbury John, beer retailer

Oliver William, beer retailer & farmer

Oxford Richd. boot & shoe ma. Colly gate

Parrish Henry, 'Old Two Gates'

Robson George, clock & watch maker

Rock Brothers, nail factors

Smith Samuel, grocer & druggist

Stevens John, chain manufr. Netherend

Williams Eliza (Mrs.) beer rtlr. Netherend

Wooldridge Sterbert, 'Holly Bush'

Wyer Samuel E. plumber, paintr. & glazr

Wythes Joseph, linendraper & grocer

  Letters arrive from Stourbridge at 9 a.m. & are dispatched at 5 p.m.


INSURANCE AGENT.- Birmingham District Fire, & Clerical & Medical, Mr. Absalom Cox Homer, Colly gate

PUBLIC OFFICERS:-

 Relieving Officer, Mr. Ellis Bradshaw, Park side

 Parish Constables, Henry Adams, John Buffrey, & Thomas Allchurch Parkes

PUBLIC SCHOOLS:-

National, Mr. Rigg, master; Miss Chamberlain, mistress

Unitarian, Mr. Billingham, mastr.; Mrs. Billingham, mstrs


COACHES from Stourbridge to Birmingham, & back, daily, pass through

      



1854 post office directory

Post Office 1854 directory, page 147